Cheadle Royal Hospital archive photographs
Below is a series of revealing archive photographs which depict different aspects of life at Cheadle Royal Hospital over the past 120 years.
The pictures include many buildings and other land which either no longer exist or no longer belong to Cheadle Royal, and as such, they provide an important reminder of what the hospital was like when it was a much larger facility during much of the 20th Century, when it occupied more than 200 acres.
While every effort has been made to provide accurate information about each picture, some of the detail has had to be guessed, as no information was recorded when the picture was taken.
The series also includes photographs of Glan-Y-Don in Colwyn Bay. This was a special home built in the 19th Century and then purchased by Cheadle Royal in 1907 and opened as a convivial convalescent home by the sea in 1911 where patients from Cheadle were sent to rest and recuperate on a temporary basis. It was less than one mile from the sea and was known as The Hall and was set in more than 30 acres of grounds, which included gardens, lawns and sports fields.
After World War 2, Cheadle Royal's hospital management decided to pursue a different course of care and rehabilitation, and as they had less resources available, Glan-Y-Don was eventually sold to Colwyn Bay Council in 1960 and remains council offices to this day.